{THE CHIPPER CHICKIE}

a handsome hubby, two darling daughters, a pair of puppies

and other reasons I'm a Chipper Chickie...




5/4/12

Five Things Friday


Happy Friday!

It's been a lazy Friday morning at our house. I'm still drinking coffee and didn't get out of my PJ's until lunch time. Maggie is on her second nap, and AC played in her Cinderella costume and watched Dora for a large part of the morning.

Don't you just love a good lazy day?

This Five Things Friday post is a bit random and all the pictures came from my cell phone. The photo quality is not very good, but its a fun way to get a glimpse into what's been going on in our life lately.

1. Anne Catherine likes to play dress up and pick out her clothes for herself lately. It's fun to let her express herself. She likes to wear pink and purple and costume jewelry. She's fancy. 


Mostly, I let her express herself when we are confined to our home. But, I did let her express herself at Kroger yesterday. Sometimes a girl just needs to wear a tutu. :)



2. We have been to a park nearly every day this week. We love to swing!


And we recently got a membership to the Memphis Botanic Gardens, so we've been visiting the flowers, fishies, turtles and birds quite often.





3. We've made some progress on the playroom. And, so far we've only spent $60...on a slip cover for the wing back. Everything else was either in the attic or storage. It's still a work in progress, but I think it's coming together. 

It's a pretty big room, so we decided to make half of it a tv/sitting area and the other half, an open play-space.


Baby Mags likes to hang out under the sofa table. AC says it's "Maggie's house."


I've had these bins for a while and never used them until now. I got them at Hobby Lobby for $5 each. They are perfect for holding toys! 


This is an old map of Memphis we used to have hanging downstairs...and a collection of cute little chairs. {I have a slight obsession with chairs.}


This trunk was my great-great grandmothers. I think it makes a cute coffee table. And, the coke crate was a gift from my Granny. It's holding mommy magazines and a few children's books.


This is the cotton that I picked with Chris and Granny a couple of years ago. The globe was Chris'.


We bought these windows at an antique store that was going out of business several years ago. They used to hang in the hallway at our first home, but we haven't found a place for them to hang in this home until now.


And I asked Uncle Jeff made this cool chalk board for us out of an old door he had. He just installed it today. I love how it turned out! {He has two more doors and supplies if anyone else is interested in one!}



4. In other news on the home-front, we finally got the new drapes hung in the kitchen. My friend Mary John {Who just had her third baby boy this morning!!! Yay!} took an old panel I had that matches the den panels and shortened and split it into two panels for me. It's nice to have some color in the kitchen! 


And, we got a new piece of furniture for the den from one of my favorite stores. Now we just need to figure out what to put on the walls. Any suggestions?


5. I'm trying out a new crock pot recipe today. It's for Mexican Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas.


I have to admit, I'm a little scared. For several reasons...
  • I am not a good crock pot chef. I tend to burn everything I cook in a crock pot. True story.
  • Pork shoulder has skin on it. {I gag.} Gross. I tried to cut it off, but it totally grossed me out. So it's in the pot. {I gag again.}
  • I can't decide if it smells good or not. There's lots of cumin and adobo up in there. Not sure what I think about the smell at the moment.
  • I think I bought the wrong kind of pork shoulder. {Should it really have that thick skin on it? It looked like a person, y'all!}
  • As it cooks, the meat is expanding. It is about to push the lid off of the crock pot. I'm thinking this is not normal.
I'll let you know if we end up eating out. Ha!

No comments: