{THE CHIPPER CHICKIE}

a handsome hubby, two darling daughters, a pair of puppies

and other reasons I'm a Chipper Chickie...




2/11/11

Five Things Friday

It's gone.

I've lost my blogging mojo.

I have a list a page long of things to blog about, but I just can't seem to find the time lately.

Life has been busy.

As if working full-time, taking care of a little one, a husband and the "regular" things that need to be done around the house don't keep me busy enough, I also have a list of things I'd like to get done before Maggie's arrival. And with about two months {or less} to go, I really have to use my time effectively.

As a result, some things are shuffled to the bottom of the to-do list. Like my blog. And laundry. {I seriously had to wash a load of boxers yesterday for my poor husband. I need a laundry intervention!}

Here are five quick snippets of what we've been up to lately:
  1. Illness. I was sick. Then Anne Catherine was sick {an ear infection, which caused a fever, which caused a febrile seizure - the scariest night of my life - and the first ride in an ambulance for me and AC}. Then Chris was sick. I'm sick of sickness! If we could keep the weather from toggling between 19 and 60 degrees this issue might resolve itself. :)
  2. Papaw {Chris's grandfather} passed away. Chris and I happened to be there as his sweet spirit left his body. Chris's mother was singing Blessed Assurance {See the lyrics below - LOVE them!}to Papaw as Jesus came to receive him. She said he used to sing that song each Sunday morning as he got ready for church. Chris spoke at the funeral and did a wonderful job. If he says it's ok, I'd like to post his speech. He spoke about what a giving person Papaw was, and that the greatest gifts he gave his family where their Christian heritage and the "blessed assurance" that he is spending eternity in heaven. What wonderful gifts to give your family?!  
  3. I finished a little painting project for a friend's nursery. She recently had her second baby boy and, like us, is keeping the nursery basically the same and updating it with new artwork. I'm considering doing painting projects on the side, so I hope she likes it!
  4. We've also been painting Anne Catherine's "big girl room" and getting it set up so she can move into it in March. Painting is now complete and the bed is in place. I can't wait to finish it up and post pictures. She already loves it and spent most of the day yesterday {our snow day} playing in her new room!
  5. I've been on a bit of a cooking streak lately! In fact, a couple of weeks ago, Chris said it was collectively the "best week" of meals I've cooked the entire time we've been married. The truth is, I've found a new joy in serving my family through planning and preparing meals {something I used to hate...and was really bad at}. And, my husbands compliment {and all of my super-cute new cooking stuff} has made me love serving them in this way even more! I'll be sharing a few recipes I've found through friends, the Internet, and other various places, so stay tuned! My most recent obsession {recipe wise} has been my friend Jenny's homemade mac and cheese. I was craving it one day and asked her for the recipe...and not only did she send me the recipe, but she also left me all of the ingredients at my back doorstep! I've made it twice since then. And I want some right now. :) Here's her recipe:
Jenny's Mac and Cheese

1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups 1% milk
1 cup (4 oz) shredded extra sharp cheddar
6 oz light processed cheese (Velveeta), cubed
6 cups dry elbow macaroni (3 cups cooked)
1/4 tsp salt

-Preheat oven to 375
-Heat large saucepan on medium heat and add flour
-Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk, cook until thick (about 8 min) - stir a lot
-Stir in 2/3 cup cheddar cheese (I added a cup) and then Velveeta. Cook about 3 min until melted
-Remove from heat; stir in cooked macaroni and salt
-Spoon into 2 qt pammed casserole dish; top with 2/3 cup cheddar cheese (I used more - as much as necessary to cover the entire top).
-Bake at 375 for 25 minutes

260 cal / 7.5 fat grams per serving! (unless you add more cheese, like me!) :)


Blessed Assurance

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels, descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hey Cuz! Glad to see what yall have been up to! She had a seizure?! Oh my goodness that has to be so scary! Not too much longer and Maggie will be here!