{THE CHIPPER CHICKIE}

a handsome hubby, two darling daughters, a pair of puppies

and other reasons I'm a Chipper Chickie...




6/15/10

My Summer Reading List

  1. Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush. My Sister and her hubby gave me this book for my birthday, and I already LOVE it! Laura Bush is my very favorite First Lady. I enjoy her candid honesty, her love of history, her love of her family {particularly her husband, Bushie}, and her quiet strength. I'll fill you in on my thoughts on her memoir once I've finished reading it.
  2. The Reason for God by Timothy Keller. If you haven't already heard of him, Timothy Keller is the pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, a church he and his wife founded in 1989. My pastor, Cole Huffman, often references his writing. I love the way Tim Keller uses literature, philosophy, and intellectual reasoning to explain Christianity. In this book, Keller answers questions like: How can one religion be “right” and the others “wrong”? and How could a loving God send people to Hell? This book has been sitting on my bedside table for quite a while. And, now that I'm finished reading my Baby Wise books {yep, I'm a Baby Wise mom}, I'm ready to jump in. I think it's the perfect book for people that question Christianity, or for people that would like to better equip themselves to answer tough questions.
  3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. This is my beach read pick {if there is such a thing when you go to the beach with a baby}. My friend Amanda, from Scarlet in the Bell Jar recommended this book before she finished it - something she rarely does. This novel is set in Jackson, MS during the civil rights movement. The character names alone {Aibileen, Minny, and Skeeter} have me eager to read this book!

No comments: